Doug and Lis travel to South Africa to see the wildlife.
- Bushbabys are the smallest primate. We were very lucky to see one. Captured from video.
- Bushbaby legs are so long they cannot walk, but hop like a rabbit. Captured from video.
- A civet is not really a cat, but rather is in the mongoose family. Captured from video.
- It is very rare to see serval, a member of the cat family. Captured from video.
- This Cessna, the smallest plane we would be on, took us the last 10 minutes to Djuma
- The Sabi River from the air
- Djuma's airstrip. To prevent hyena from chewing the tires off of planes left unattended, they must cover them with cut-off steel drums.
- Our first "big" animal sighting... this is a very cooperative female kudu seen on our ride into the park.
Mom@184.108.40.206 (05/22/2001 16:33:14):
This is incredibly exciting!!! I am so happy ( and jealous) o
- View of Vuyatela from across the dam.
- This is the view from our private deck... very posh.
The Evening Commuter Crew@220.127.116.11 (05/22/2001 13:44:01):
Almost as good as the view from the train every evening.
We have safely arrived in Africa, after every one of our flights actually arrived ahead of schedule. This beautiful mosaic is the first thing you see as you enter Vuyatela Camp at Djuma.
Wen@18.104.22.168 (05/22/2001 10:31:33):
Glad to hear they are treating you both so fine!!! Can't wait to hear and see more!!! Have a ball!!!
JJ@22.214.171.124 (05/22/2001 16:43:43):
Debby@126.96.36.199 (05/22/2001 17:14:43):
Wonderful pictures and commentaries. Am living this trip vicariously through you both! Enjoy, be safe, have fun.
- Impala across a dam. The vegetation is pretty lush for late autumn.
- Who thought the Tufts mascot would make it all the way to Africa? Oh wait...
email@example.com (05/22/2001 08:28:48):
That is SO not Jumbo... he'd be MUCH more drunk! (and on fire.) Glad it's turning out to be all you wanted it to be - can't wait to hear more!!!
- Spotted eagle owl. Very lucky to see this, even luckier to get it on film.
Wen@188.8.131.52 (05/22/2001 07:58:44):
What a cool shot!!! Glad to get your update and pics!!! :)
Tim@184.108.40.206 (05/22/2001 09:35:30):
who did the lighting!! very nice
Santana@220.127.116.11 (05/22/2001 11:35:57):
Great pictures - looking forward to seeing more soon. Were you allowed to play with the Lions!
- You can tell waterbuck from kudu because the waterbuck have straighter horns, smaller ears, and look like they've sat on a white-painted toilet seat.
- A steenbok is a small antelope, about 21" high. Captured from video.